Poor mans Paella

I absolutely love paella and I love seafood. But let's face it, who can really afford seafood all the time. I mean usually I can afford shrimp and this month it just didn't happen.
My mom has always made paella in my house but we got to calling it poor mans paella whenever it lacked seafood!

It's easy, quick and full of just as much flavor!



Paella (serves four)

(remember you can add other veggies or take out if you like)

1 T. olive oil
1 clove of garlic
1/2 yellow onion
1 red bell pepper
3 oz. baby carrots
1 bag frozen peas
1 large tomato
1 package saffron rice (find it in your grocery store for super cheap in a yellow package)
1-2 tsp. cumin
1 large chicken breast
1 package kielbasa (contained two medium sized sausages)
1 can chicken broth (low sodium)

This is a once pot meal! (always great!)
Start by heating up your olive oil in a large pan (mine has higher sides).
When it gets hot add your carrots and onion.
When the onion starts to turn clear, add your chicken and garlic (I always salt and pepper my chicken and this is when I added the cumin.)
 When the chicken is white on all sides add your bell pepper and after 30 seconds add your sausage. When this is warmed through and softer, add your tomato.
After a few more seconds add the rice packet. Stir it around and when you start to hear a sizzle add the chicken broth.
Bring the pot back to a boil, set the temp. to low and the timer for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes take the lid off give it a stir and a few minutes to thicken up.
Then turn off the heat and let set for 5 minutes to cool and thicken and then enjoy!

This is a great easy meal for any family. I love to add Tabasco to spice mine up. This is a healthy nutritious and cheap meal that tastes very spanish and expensive!

Comments

Most Popular Posts